Saturday, September 3, 2011

As I sat in the library...

Man, it feels good to be back on campus.  Just being on campus makes me feel like I am being productive compared to just sitting around elsewhere. But what I truly missed is not just receiving high grades, increasing my writing ability, meeting new people but seeing all the strange-than-fiction things I see when I am on campus.

From 2007 to now, I can honestly say "nothing surprises me anymore." Since I have been here I have heard absurd conversations, outbursts, seen slightly silly things and completely over the top things. For example when Obama won the election in 2008, this campus went crazy---on both sides. One side had a woman stabbing an Obama-carved pumpkin with a knife, and dangled it off her dorm balcony. The other side had a dude shouting "OBAMA MOTHA FUCKAZ" as people walked by. On other occasions, I have had smaller WTF moments like being evangelized to by a Buddhist monk and then snubbed when I refuse to give him any kind of money.

Out of all of the crazy events that have happened on campus, I appreciate the smaller ones the best. Like Today, I was in the library reading The Catcher in the Rye, a book that should have been read a lot earlier on, but since I am in an Adolescent literature class, I am reading it now-- there will probably more books I will read this semester on the "damnkidyoushouldareadthatyearsago" list. But I digress. As I sat in the library, I saw this student walking in with some stylish head phones on his head. You know those people that really feel the music they listen too, so much so that their facial expressions and their walking pace changes? Well, that was this guy ( I am totally that guy too). What separates this guy from the other people that really feel their music is that he assumes we should ALL feel his music. So in the quietest moment of the library, he walks right past me and shouts the most intense part of the song: "And I would pull a strap for my niggaz!!!"

I smirked. Not phased. Not surprised.

Villainy. And I mean it.

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant! Haha!

    And I just finished "The Catcher in the Rye" and it was cool. Have you read "The Great Gatsby"? Unrelated, really, except that I read them one after the other and enjoyed both.

    Roberta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading ur passages is equal to wandering the streets with a sunny and curious glare around. Thank you. Have you heard that J. D. Salinger used any chance to neglect the popularity and noise of mass media? After the Catcher he published only 9 Stories ans just a couple of novellas... I wonder why?

    ReplyDelete