Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Oh The Things You'll miss.

This semester, I started to like football. To many people that know me personally it may come as a total surprise. I have never cared for sports. In fact, I hated sports. In my childhood it seemed to be goal of every young boy around me. I could not make myself interested in it so I ignored it. Then, eventually, after being stoned by questions and criticism for my lack of engagement into the world of sports, my apathy morphed into annoyance and then, at some point in middle school, a petty hatred.

Since I started working at the Global Learning Community, I've made plenty of foreign friends who have wanted to learn about American Football. Despite not giving a rat's dirty ass about football, I still learned the basics over the years. So, I took a few students to a game and explained it. Then I took fewer students to a game and explained. Then, just one student. Eventually, I was watching it on television with other residents. Shouting, cursing and threatening to kill the referee, his children and pets. I always knew that I was probably missing out on something fun. But I didn't care as a child. I figured there were lots of fun things that I would miss out on, and a lot of fun things that I would be included in..See, I was mature sometimes.

Trying new things is kind of hard for a lot of people. Especially myself. I don't know what it is about me and trying new experiences, but when I do try new things, I can feel my personality gaining depth. Even if it is something new I did not particularly enjoy, I at least walk away from it knowing that it sucked, vowing to never waste my time again. What is unfortunate is that there are people who make it a goal to avoid new experiences. Don't get me wrong, I really don't like watching new movies recommended by people who have disappointed me time and time again: "Dude, you HAVE to go watch Book of Eli! It is so inspirational!" I am still shuddering.  Instead I am saying that intentionally sticking to a routine of watching the same television shows, reading the same blogs, talking to the same people, playing the same video games, shopping at the same stores, dating the same kind of personality, using the same vocabulary, listening to the same music, watching the same movies, having the same hair cut, buying the same clothes and eating the same food can really limit life.

I remember the day I bought my first Spider-man comic in 2006. I remember walking into the bookstore at the mall and seeing the comic book rack. I spent it around and then I suddenly became hyper-aware of Spider-man. I used to love the show growing up. I remembered loving everything about the character. However, it just hit me that the series has been running for the past 40 years. I wondered why. How could a series last so long? 24 comics a year for 40 years is a long time. I thought, they should just end it. I wondered what all the rage is about. Now its 5 years later and I haven't missed an issue. Moreover, I want to write comic book stories. I want to spark a franchise that lasts 40 years. A moment of curiosity determined has affected my life for the past 5 years.

I'll give you another example. This past weekend, a friend and I wanted to have a Mobile Suit Gundam marathon. His girlfriend, a Japanese girl who ignored and occasionally mocked Gundam, joined us. about 3 hours later, she informed us that she never realized how deep the series was. She said "I thought it was for kids. I did not expect it to be so awesome." It was definitely dated like most shows from 1979, but it left a good impression on her. She even said she'd be down for watching it again.


It's not for everyone but...this shit Cray.


But what does that mean? Does it mean that she will have a life changing experience? Of course not. Gundam is VERY hit and miss. I guess, at the most, it could lead to a new hobby, and it could even be useful to a connecting with new friends. Knowing the slightest pop cultural references--especially a franchise with the magnitude of Gundam--could even win you a million dollars:



Just sayin'

Villainy.

No comments:

Post a Comment